Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Dark Blogger Returns

Well, it only took me four long months, but I am finally ready to return to the world of online blogging. Between college homework, writing for the school paper, living in a fraternity and trying to balance a relationship, it seems there was no time to actually blog about anything. It's a pity really, considering so much has happened in the past semester. Where do we begin?

I've seen several movies over the past few months. Ted, Premium Rush, Lawless, Dredd, Looper, Hotel Transylvania, Life of Pi, Cloud Atlas, Wreck-It Ralph, Skyfall, and most recently The Hobbit all came under my unique brand of analysis and criticism, even if I haven't had time to actually blog about it. It was a mixed bag of movies, but there were some gems among them, and I look forward to giving full-hearted reviews in my upcoming analysis of 2012 in film.

In terms of nerd news, there has certainly been a lot. We now have trailers for next year's brand of films, ranging from Lone Ranger, A Good Day to Die Hard, Star Trek into Darkness, Iron Man 3, Oblivion, Pacific Rim, Monsters University, GI Joe: Retaliation and Man of Steel, all of which I am looking forward to. And that's not even counting Wolverine, Thor: The Dark World, Kick-Ass 2, Hobbit Part 2, and Hunger Games: Catching Fire, which have yet to premiere trailers even though I'm pumped for them anyway.

We have spoilers regarding several prominent superhero films. Iron Man will face Ben Kingsley's Mandarin, Thor will fight Christopher Eccleston's Malekith the Accursed, Captain America will fight Crossbones and Winter Soldier, while Guardians of the Galaxy will most likely take on Thanos, not to mention we still have an Ant-Man movie and Avengers sequel coming 2015. Wolverine will be set post-X3 and set up for Days of Future Past, which will try to make sense of the films' continuity by merging the old trilogy with First Class. And then there's the Amazing Spider-Man sequel, which has casted Harry Osborn, Mary Jane and Electro as the primary villain. All good news, but what of DC?

Batman's gone and Superman's coming. Man of Steel looks incredible, but amid all this comes news we may get a Justice League film come 2015. Man of Steel will obviously connect into it, but will that film do anything to set it up? More importantly, will JL reboot Batman and Green Lantern, or will we see Joseph-Gordon Levitt's John Blake and Ryan Reynold's Hal Jordan fighting alongside Henry Cavill, as some rumors say? Not to mention the other rumors of Darkseid being the villain and his plan being to transport Apokalips to Earth Space. But while we can speculate all we want, there's another 2015 film I'd much rather discuss.

Disney buying Lucasfilm came as a shock to many, myself included. As a lifelong Star Wars fan, this news would have upset me a few years ago. But then Disney made Avengers after acquiring Marvel, and to hear that they're behind the wheel and Lucas is out fills me with relief. The very idea of a new Star Wars trilogy, with Episode VII coming 2015, is mindblowing. What will it be about? Will it adapt the Expanded Universe or do a new story? Will Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Billy Dee Williams and Carrie Fisher be in it? This news has made me excited to be a Star Wars fan again, and I can't wait to see how this new trilogy develops.

I know I haven't covered everything. I've barely caught up on TV, so unfortunately I can't say anything about the new Green Arrow TV show or the latter half of Walking Dead's third season (first few episodes were phenomenal though). I did manage to see the first half of Doctor Who's new season, and it was very sad to see the Ponds leave. There is so much more to do, and so many more nerdy things to cover. Now that Winter Break is here, expect more posts within the coming weeks, while I try to balance blogging with the other aspects of my life. But for now, I am back, and the blogger in me is ready to be unleashed once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment